Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Pope Wags Finger

I am tepidly pro-Choice. I think the general consensus on abortion is that overall we think it should be legal, but we think it is really icky. Since this isn't really a political blog and I don't like to use this space for political debate and I am hardly passionate on this issue, please don't use the comments to convert me. I don't care that much.

I only bring it up because I am moving one step closer to excommunication.

But the Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, later issued a statement approved by the pope clarifying the remarks. The statement said the pope did not intend to excommunicate anyone.* Politicians who vote in favor of abortion should not receive the sacrament of Holy Communion, Lombardi said.

``Since excommunication hasn't been declared by the Mexican bishops, the pope has no intention himself of declaring it,'' said Lombardi, who was on board the plane. ``Legislative action in favor of abortion is incompatible with participation in the Eucharist. ... Politicians exclude themselves from Communion.''

Pressed further by journalists if the lawmakers were excommunicated, Lombardi reiterated: ``No, they exclude themselves from Communion.''

I'm just curious, does voting for pro-Choice politicians and supporting pro-Choice legislation also mean I'm threatened with excommunication? I think we all knew it was only a matter of time before the Catholics kicked me out of the Church, but I'm kind of wondering how close I am from receiving the papal "kick me" sign.

And don't politicians sort of exclude themselves from Communion by virtue of being politicians?

And if I do get excommunicated, how do I tell my mom? Considering she's pro-Choice too, we might have start attended Episcopal services.

*Ed Note - Phew. Dodging the bullet there. I'm hoping he doesn't change his mind in the near future.

3 comments:

Praise the Highlander said...

I am not Catholic, so I don't really understand how all that works. I personally doubt the Catholic church would excommunicate its pro-choice members, simply because it would be a massive undertaking. But hey like I said I really don't know.

Would it bother you if you were?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...equating murder with the word "icky". Wow, are you freaking serious?

Anonymous said...

Without getting into a legal argument on the merits of canon law, I would like to clarify, on Poseur HQ's behalf, the comments here.
Poseur does not equate Murder with "icky," he merely references the collective "WE." That is: we as Americans, We as humanity, or even We as Catholics. Some people equate it to murder, others don't. Some people think the death penalty is wrong, others don't. The point is that the pope has taken a stance against abortion, but more importantly he has stopped short of taking the ultimate action excommunication. I think this is interesting because it puts a bunch of catholic politicians (and possibly supporters of politicians) on religious "probation." This says to me: The Pope (who Catholics believe is God's agent on Earth, in direct communion with God) has impliedly made abortion a misdemeanor rather than a felony. A political decision? Yes
A smart decision? Probably
Is His Holiness the Pope carrying out God's will? I have no freakin clue, but I do know it would be a poor way to create cohesion in the Church by totally disenfranchising millions of Catholics around the world. Partial disenfranchisement will have to do.

Love,
Matt