Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Damned If You Do

Over at Lee's blog, he was criticizing pop stars who use their celebrity to promote various social causes. And while I agree that there's nothing more annoying than being lectured on, say, animal rights by Celine Dion, I do believe it's an unfair double standard. If an artist decides to be politically active, they are a pretentious gasbag. but if they just selfishly use their celebrity to acquire more drugs, fame, and wealth... well, then they are still a pretty rotten person. It's a Catch-22.

So what's wrong with someone using their celebrity to do something other than take up space? Sure, no one is really sticking their neck out by saying "We like the environment!" but I'm not asking for AFI to have a complex opinion on forgiving African debt. But if they want to raise money for the environment, what's wrong with that? And like, Lee points out, we can always turn them off. It works the same way with their political beliefs. I don't have to listen. But whether you are the Dixie Chicks or Ted Nugent, I actually prefer my artists to have something to say. Or else what's the point of art if it's just a way to sell more albums? Say something. Even if I disagree with it.

On the environment, I do prefer bands who put their money where their mouth is. Dave Matthews Band, the Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Guster, Ray LaMontagne, Barenaked Ladies, R.E.M., the Indigo Girls, Jack Johnson, and Bon Jovi are among the artists who have attempted to make their tours more eco-friendly by not wasting energy, planting trees, and offsetting their energy use to make a smaller impact. The Warped Tour is an eco-friendly punk tour. I'd much prefer bands actually DO something than give me a lecture. These bands have.

By the way, the shot about none of these bands leaving LA was a cheap shot. Most of those bands are not from LA. Since I'm a huge Police fan, I'll point out that there's only one American in the band, Stewart Copeland. And his dad was a CIA agent causing him to grow up in places like London and Cairo. They have as much to do with LA as I do.

Look, I honestly don't care about the cause du jour. I tried to make bumperstickers in high school which stated, "FUCK TIBET". Not that I want Tibet crushed by China, it's just that I honestly don't care all that much. But the Tibetan Freedom Concert was a pretty awesome show (until someone got struck by lightning).

On balance, I'd rather have my celebrities be pretentious gasbags than narcissistic fame sponges.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not really the celebrities talking about issues that bothers me, it's the mindless masses that believe everything said as if it's the end all be all. Discriminatory listening is the key, but I doubt we shall achieve that anytime soon.

Poseur said...

Well, there I can't blame you. In the end, I don't care about Jessica Simpson's political opinions, but I don't mind if she uses her celebrity to promote them.

But we can all agree its easy to make fun of Bono.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Baker... We may have to get a plot of land and start a point/counterpoint blog one of these days.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone using their celebrity status to help out a noble cause. Many charities can use celebrity appearances, whether just showing up to to chit-chat or actually performing at the event, to raise attendance and hopefully contributions.

However, and this is part of the problem I didn't address, the news media affords individuals such as the Ted Nugents and Billy Joe Armstrongs of the world every moment of coverage they wish when speaking out their generalized views regarding "injustice" or "the Man". You're right - if you don't like the message conveyed in song or video - you can just turn it off. But when Jessica Simpson and James Blunt are running their mouth on every media outlet there is, it goes beyond the idea of "turning it off".

By the way - I wholly support celebrities who go the "green" route (ala Leonardo DiCaprio). And this may be another cheap shot, but I wouldn't be citing DMB for any "ecologically friendly" practices. If they are, it's probably via court order after dumping fecal matter on tourists and being fined $50,000.

And yes - the LA comment was a little below the belt, but how much of it is true? Do you remember Akon's last ecological demonstration from the rainforests of Costa Rica? Was that Kelly Clarkson I saw working for gay rights in Moscow this past weekend? Did Fergie and will.I.am work the homeless shelter in Chicago this past Thanksgiving? I know not all artists are self-absorbed, wastes of space, but they aren't exactly these artists.

So maybe artists aren't the ones to place 100% of the blame on. Maybe the news media and the consumers need to do their part on bringing down this horrible trend of granting them too much publicity. And I think the consumers do occasionally show their displeasure with artists who step outside their realm of influence too much (see Dixie Chicks v. Country Music or Madge's American Life CD v. Record Sales).

Anyways, you do have a valid point on freedom of speech and the noble use of stardom, but I still think celebrities should have to apply for a permit not to have their mouth wired shut.

Richard Pittman said...

"However, and this is part of the problem I didn't address, the news media affords individuals such as the Ted Nugents and Billy Joe Armstrongs of the world every moment of coverage they wish when speaking out their generalized views regarding "injustice" or "the Man". You're right - if you don't like the message conveyed in song or video - you can just turn it off. But when Jessica Simpson and James Blunt are running their mouth on every media outlet there is, it goes beyond the idea of "turning it off"."

At this point, my recommendation is not to blame the opinionated celebrity. He/she is only using his outsized media access to promote what he/she thinks is important. Blame the media, which gives the celebrity the outsized access.

Anonymous said...

Let's blame the terrorists...apparently those bastards are everywhere!!!

Anonymous said...

can't we all agree that the country we love so dearly is about 75% full of idiots...thus, we can't blame the gas bags, whether they are in the idiot group or not...until our idiot country cares more about social, political, economic, environmental, etc. issues than freaking so you think you can dance, we are all screwed...on that note, i TIVO'd so you think you can dance and have to go watch it -- PEACE!