Monday, February 26, 2007

Watching Hollywood Pat Itself On the Back

I'm fairly disturbed that I won my Oscar pool. I'm also fairly disturbed I was in an Oscar pool. My manhood is now open to question. So here's a gratuitous picture of Isla Fisher



While, I'm at it. Is there a more classically beautiful woman on the planet than Cate Blanchett? She just looks like a movie star. It's kind of disturbing.



Some other notes on what was a dreadfully boring Oscar telecast:

- I usually like Ellen Degeneres, but she was not good. Let's put it like this, Al Gore got more laughs. Let's say that again: Al Gore got more laughs. That's pretty much the standard of comedy death.

- Marty Scorcese has now won an Oscar. Susan Lucci has a daytime Emmy. Peyton Manning has a Super Bowl. The Red Sox won a World Series. Any other perennial losers out there? Who's the new Best Living Director to Have Never Won an Oscar? David Lynch?

- Those behind-the-screen dancers reminded me of the doctor's office in Doc Hollywood. It was one of those brilliantly goofy things I like about the Oscars.

- The sound effect chorus is another entry into things you should never be good at

- I've always liked Forest Whitaker, ever since Platoon. This was his first nomination and he wins. Peter O'Toole couldn't win for Lawrence of Arabia. I'm just saying.

- I've been making snarky comments about people's outfits with my cousin via IM. Apparently, I'm a girl. Or a gay man.

- My favorite part is always the In Memoriam video. Just thought I'd mention that.

- The Departed was really good. I'm glad it won. And its win was what put me over the top in my Oscar pool.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I rarely make snarky comments about people's outfits but it's par for the Oscar course. The fashion (bad and otherwise) is really the only thing worth watching the Oscars for anymore.

OsoDelSol said...

I REALLY wanted to see the departed. I'm going to have to borrow it from someone or desperately try to download it.

Anonymous said...

as for perennial losers, the Saints deserve a $%^&* super bowl!

Jon Swanburg said...

I don't know this Isla Fisher but I would like to make motor-boat noises whilst my face was in the close vicinity of her sternum.

And that's what straight guys do. Motor boat noises.

Next you're going to tell me you watch American Idol and think Clay Aiken is neat. That religious website was right; it's all that homo music you listen to.

Praise the Highlander said...

Swanburg is right. Can't you find a less direct way to tell the world you're gay?

Anonymous said...

Also, Phil Mickelson won a major. All of our tragic heroes have disqualified themselves as "tragic heroes."

And I don't think you are gay. Everybody knows that ALL gay people have an amazing knowledge of 70s and 80s trivia. You've never demonstrated any such knowledge. Wait a minute... maybe you are....

Poseur said...

If Swanburg made that reference intentionally, it was comedy gold seeing how Isla Fisher was in Wedding Crashers.

I am lucky that I don't watch American Idol and think that Clay Aiken is disturbingly like Barry Manilow.

And I don't watch golf. I don't believe in sports in which people can't hit each other.

jugraham said...

Who is Oscar

Jon Swanburg said...

I know things, particulalry, things about breasts and their owners.

In the future, whenever you hear me say the phrase, "I don't know her", I'm probably lying.

Poseur said...

When I hear Swanburg use any phrase, I assume he's lying.