Thursday, February 15, 2007

Placing a Phonecall

When you need advice, it’s good to have a best friend. But when you finally get a hold of him, you don’t want to hear that you he’s having problems with reception because he’s in Puerto Rico*. I’m not sure why he’s in Puerto Rico, but he sounded busy. And the reception really did suck.

Don’t they have cell towers in Puerto Rico? Really, it’s closer to Texas than Maryland is. So logically, I should have better reception talking to him when he’s in Puerto Rico than when he’s at home in Baltimore. I’m just saying. These are the sorts of things which keep me up at night. It’s not like I was calling Bolivia or anything.

*Ed. Note - Interesting factoid. Puerto Rico is misnamed due to a cartographer's mistake. The island was supposed to be named San Juan and the city was named Puerto Rico, the "Good Port". But someone screwed up the map, and we've been stuck with this mistake, and now its become correct. So, if you're gonna make a mistake, wait a few hundred years and maybe it'll correct itself. OK, maybe that wasn't that interesting. But I thought it was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, cell phones totally work in Puerto Rico... When my family takes me hostage and makes me live on our sailboat, I always fight to get them to sail near Puerto Rico so I can get reception for a few precious hours... I told you one day I'd not just make you smile, but be a wealth of practical knowlege as well...

Poseur said...

So Jim was just lying to me and hanging up on me repeatedly as a joke. I shall have my revenge. Or maybe his cell coverage sucks.