Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roullez!

It’s Mardi Gras!

What a great holiday. I miss being in Louisiana this time of year, as the entire state shut down as we all partied for about a week solid. To give you an idea of priorities, LSU gave us two days off for Thanksgiving and three days for Mardi Gras. And most professors gave us off the previous Friday as well. Good times all the way around.

We’re talking about a holiday in which the whole point of it is to sin as much as possible before Lent starts. It’s a holiday which inspired the Girls Gone Wild videos. It’s like the polar opposite of the upcoming solemnity of Good Friday. Get all of it out of your system. Because the early Catholics were apparently moral bulimics. Binge and purge!

Then again, sinning in Waco is rather difficult. I’m sure some of you will give it the old college try, though. I, of course, am going to play softball and then study. I am a good Catholic boy.

5 comments:

OsoDelSol said...

mmm...siiiiiinnn....

Anonymous said...

I feel like a very bad Southern girl now. You may have to revoke my Southern license. I totally forgot it was Mardi Gras. Perhaps a part of my soul did remember, however, as I splurged on Swiss cheese and nutella and coffee...

Anonymous said...

I prefer the old timey Mardi Gras to the new Mardi Gras.

Mardi Gras was, at one time, a bawdy celebration of New Orleans culture and community. It was risque, but children wouldn't feel terribly out of place.

Now, it's gone from bawdy to raunchy. The parades and the parties are now just excuses for getting naked, and every weekend in the Quarter is now Mardi Gras.

It's the tourists, I tell ya.

Poseur said...

Considering I once ended up engaged at the end of Mardi Gras once, I can't throw stones. But I do have to say I enjoyed the times spent Uptown more than Downtown since there are so few tourists Uptown. And it didn't hurt that we got to heckle the Tulane Marching Band.

But I always feel bad when some middle aged couple is walking down Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras. Because it's definitely X-rated.

Anonymous said...

You know, we were never allowed to go as kids... then we moved... so I've never been. Next year, dearest cousin mine?