Thursday, February 01, 2007

Paying Rent Would Be Cool

Know who I hate? Baylor's financial aid department. It's not just that they placed a hold on my loans from my lender for no particular reason, they made no note in their system they had done so, and then refused to fix the problem because the hold was not in their system, so obviously, the hold did not exist. No, that's not the reason I hate them.

I hate them because they couldn't have been more bored with the fact they screwed up my aid and I'm staring at a nearly empty bank account due to their error. Hey, people screw up, but once I've found out the problem, done all the legwork, and found the very simple solution, perhaps you guys could get take the one minute out of your day to call the lender and say there's no hold. It's like they went out of their way to be unhelpful. I know the computer says there isn't a problem, but the lack of a check is a pretty concrete bit of proof that the computer is wrong.

Know who I think is awesome? Everyone in the dean's office, particularly Heather. They actually did something about it, and listened to me rant at them even if it wasn't their fault that the financial aid office is evil. Heather's even busy with the new student orientation, so for her to take the time to deal with financial aid on my behalf, and get results, is pretty darn cool. Not once did she try and pass the buck, either. I appreciate that.

So, since normally the administration only hears about things when things go wrong or when we're mad, I thought it would be nice to say something good about them. You guys rule. I will show my appreciation by actually paying my tuition.

And then I will follow Heather's recommendation and watch Green Street Hooligans this weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should change your blog name to: "So the Yankee Says..."


Love,
Matt

Hendricks said...

I thought Green Street Hooligans was interesting on a "learning about a different culture than my own" level, but I can't say I liked it.
Which means that you'll probably love it.

Heather said...

Thanks for the shoutout. I hope it is all resolved. (If not, let me know!)

As for the movie, I agree with Hendricks' comment. It's not one I would normally recommend, but it struck me as one you might like. I hope you do!

Jeremy Masten said...

I had a friend in high school who applied to Baylor undergrad with decent test scores, quite a bit of FAFSA need, and very little anticipated family aid or whatever. At that time, annual costs at the undergrad added up to $22k. They offered him an unsubsidized loan of $2k. Per year.

Oh by the way, M. Poseur. Tonight at Target, I saw a guy wearing a two-tone leather jacket (red sleeves torn off one jacket and sewn onto a black jacket) that had eight large patches of obviously punk rock bands (Rancid, Pennywise, etc.). He had his hair died different shades of blond and red. His pants were patched (three on each leg). And he was wearing Vans. Can I have your assessment?

Poseur said...

VERDICT: Big honkin' poseur.

Always be afraid of the punk rock guy who looks normal, the freaky looking ones are harmless.

And think of the greatest bands of hardcore, a lot of them look pretty damn normal and would pass for ordinary citizens if you saw them at the grocery store: Fugazi, Black Flag, the Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat, the Descendants, Screeching Weasel, Husker Du... all relatively normal looking (save Henry Rollins' tattoos and some bad haircuts here and there).

OsoDelSol said...

Yes, Queen Heather and the gang are highly awesome. I know that I definitely wouldn't still be here without the QH and Jerri's mad skillz re financial aid.