Sunday, February 11, 2007

Poseur's Way Too Pretentious Top Ten Albums of 2006: Introduction

Tonight is the Grammy Awards. Aside from the Police reunion, I don't really care. Last night, there were the Plug Awards for indie rock, and you don't really care. We are at an impasse.

Anyway, this has gotten me pain-stakingly create my own pretentious top ten albums of 2006: The Poseurs. Over the next week or so, I'll be interspersing the countdown among the usual content you've grown to expect here at Poseur HQ. I know that you don't care, and I know my list is uber-pretentious, but it's my blog and I get to do things on here which are purely for my own amusement every once in awhile (ok, almost all of the time -- disrespecting my audience comes like second nature to me). You could always go torture an animated goldfish instead.

I'll try and post a music video from each album selected for your viewing enjoyment (or more accurately, mine)*. Then they'll be some snotty commentary, which I'll even try to make interesting. It'll be fun. But before we get into all of that, let's warm things up with a few albums that didn't quite make the cut:

The Gossip


I really like it and upon playing one of their songs to Matt, he went off and downloaded all of their other songs (legally of course). But they are all under 21, and that just irritates me in their gummy bracelet wearing, bad haircut way.


The Thermals


Sub Pop, the label which gave us Nirvana and grunge had a banner year. I put the Thermals on here as a representative sample for the entire label, though I don't think any one album was truly transcendent. they were all just really good.

Dixie Chicks


The most punk rock single of the year. While punk now means funny haircuts and jackets covered in patches, its supposed to be a little more than that. Just a nice F-you to all of their critics.

Drive-by Truckers


A band so great I was pissed that their recent album was merely good instead of terrific. They are still the greatest band on the planet right now, but you can't put out four classics in a row. Go buy Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, and The Dirty South first.

Band of Horses


The big winners at the Plug Awards. I think they are overly mopey, which is saying a lot coming from me. But this is sort of the consensus Indie Rock Album of the Year. So here ya go.

*Note from Management: Give the clips a try. You might find something you like. The only way to find new bands is to take someone's suggestion and give it a whirl. You'll find a lot of bad bands that way too, but there's always that moment when you stumble on something off the beaten path. I love that. It's worth having someone recommend Deerhoof to you so you can find a band that may actually be enjoyed by humans. Or you'll discover really quickly we have completely divergent tastes. But I'll try and post a warning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I didn't think that the Dixie Chicks deserved the grammy's they got. Maybe it's my taste (let's be honest, I don't exactly have the most sophisticated or pretentious musical pallette) or still lingering dislike for the Chicks (I'll admit my biases) but I would have gone with Crazy in record of the year, Future Sex/Love Sounds in Album of the year, and anything else in the country selections, since the Chicks had a mutual parting with the country genre and fans years ago.

Perhaps I could have gone along with Song of the Year, due to the general unexcitement of the rest of the nominees. But I don't think that the awards were a result of the art, but a general shifting of opinions in the past few years about the war.

Poseur said...

Honestly, the Grammys don't matter. We're talking about an organization which gave the Best New Artist award to the Starland Vocal Band (of Afternoon Delight fame) over Elvis Costello.

But I honestly like how the Chicks flipped the bird to just about everyone, even to the libs by refusing to abandon their country sound.

For the Grammys, this was an edgy choice.