Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ashes to Ashes

Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.

Just kicking it old school for the Catholics in the hiz-ouse. For those of you not up on your Latin mass, it means "Remember, man, that you are dust, And unto dust you shall return." We Catholics are a real party people. A fairly unheathly number of our holidays and rituals revolve around death.

There's something about Lent that I really like. I like the idea of making small sacrifices, and I like the idea of spending 40 days getting your soul ready for the resurrection of Christ. Maybe I missed my calling as a Medieval Flagellant.

Or maybe not. I just like the opportunity for private reflection. Lent is a good time to do that.

4 comments:

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig said...

Was it because of Mardi Gras that you were so out of it this morning at the 54th?

In all seriousness, do Catholics here in the states get the black cross on their foreheads on ash Wednesday? When I was in Ecuador, we spent Carnaval dodging water balloons and buckets of water. Not even one naked person, thank goodness. Boy, things there sure were tame compared to what happens in New Orleans!

OsoDelSol said...

My latin is getting questionable. I read "pulvis" as "pelvis." It's time to go to bed....

My grandparents in Cenla seem to wonder why all the relatives who moved out-of-state come to visit around this time. Oh wait, they don't wonder at all. At least they don't judge. For once.

Poseur said...

Actually, I didn't go out for Mardi Gras at all. The reason I was sort of out of things at the 54th was that I played softball on Tuesday and woke up the next morning and my body was over 30. My back is still killing me. I'm so lame.

I went to Ash Wednesday mass after school. I had the black cross on my forehead then.