Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Top Ten Lists

I've been trolling through my own archives in an exercise in self-important navel-gazing. I was going to just keep it to myself, but this blog is all about self-important navel gazing. So, in honor of the new year and my deep love of top ten lists, here is my favorite ten posts from last year, with a litle bit of an update. See everything you missed.

Yes, I am this big of a narcissist.

First off, the flight home post is too recent to make the list, but any post that has Katie calling me to tell me how hard she laughed is worth mentioning.

#10
Amending the Constitution

I thought it was funny. I’m not sure anyone else did.

#9
Steve’s interview

I’m now including the blog on my resume under “Hobbies”. I'm also unreasonably attached to internal dialogue.

#8
DA’s office review

Top ten lists are gimmicky, but they work. Or at least this one did. Unlike the one you’re reading. Boy, the list you're reading sucks. That guy is just mailing it in.

#7
The debut of green peas

The green peas haven’t made as many appearances as they did back in the LJ days, mainly because I’ve stayed remarkably healthy these last four months. Yeah, I’m shocked, too. This is a personal record. I haven't been in an emergency room for some random injury in quite some time. Which means I think I'm due for some sort of catastrophic injury. I'm thinking concussion, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I just break a bone or two.

#6
John Rocker speaks out on race relations

Believe it or not, John has since made things worse by giving an interview to deadspin. Then the original SI writer finally popped off about Rocker. Good times all the way around.

#5
WC viewing guide

Probably my most popular post of the year. I had more people come up to me and tell me they thought this post was funny than any other. So I’m happy it made people laugh, and I was also happy to get direct feedback. I like being told I’m funny.

#4
Debut of the footnote. Argument over the word y’all in which my cousin makes Matt look dumb

Technically, it was not the debut of the footnote. It was the second time I used the footnote, but it’s when it became part of the Poseur schtick*. That alone doesn’t make it my favorite post, it really is the etymology smackdown which I like. The lesson is that the commenters are more interesting than I am.

#3
Stupid arguments and breakfast food

The infamous cake argument. Matt and I have been arguing about the classification of cake ever since. This all started because I wouldn’t eat cake for breakfast because I had given up dessert food for Lent. Matt helpfully suggested a loophole, as if it would be a good idea to try and pull a fast one in God. Incidentally, Maggie Moo’s went out of business during Lent. I think I pushed them out of business because I had stopped eating ice cream.

#2
I miss my dad

I usually don’t use this space to expose open wounds, but I was in a mood. I don’t think I’ll ever be this personal in this space again (I had a much smaller audience at the time), but I’m proud of this post and glad its up there. Swanburg described it as “rather one of the more moving things I’ve ever read” which either means I’m pretty moving or Swanburg doesn’t read much. No really, he actually said that.

#1
Statutory construction and the baseball rulebook

My favorite post of the year. Yes, I am this big of a dork. It’s not funny in the execution, its just funny that I would spend this much time and effort on it. And I would do the same thing for the NFL, but they do not publish their rulebook, which gets me extraordinarily upset. Hell, I’d pay for it. But it is unavailable to the general public. Bastards.

2006 was a blast. Enjoy 2007, kids.

*Note from Management: We have no idea why anyone likes the schtick either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question or comments to Poseur HQ:

Comment: Next time you do a top 10 post about the quality of the posts, it might be interesting to elicit input from your faithful* readers.
That said, My list would be almost EXACTLY the same as yours (I would have put the father post 1st and the baseball stat construction post 2nd).
On second thought, this is your blog, you deserve to have your list on it.

Any word on the World Series of Pop Culture?

Love,
Matt

*and they are faithful

Poseur said...

I thought about input from the readers, but then I realzie I'm all about disrespecting my audience. I get to make the list here. Though I am happy to have people tell me other stuff I wrote was really brilliant, too.

And no word from those bastards at VH-1. We're still waiting. As soon as I know something, you'll know something.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the LSU win! And by win, I mean "ass-kicking."