Friday, December 22, 2006

The Last Gutpak

Vitek's is closing. Actually, today is the very last day it will be open, so we took this occasion to have one last Gutpak. I could wax nostalgic about Vitek's, but I've only been here for a year and don't have too many memories. but the food was good and it was my favorite BBQ place in Waco.

Now, I'm a pork barbeque guy. I feel that Memphis BBQ is far superior to Texas BBQ, but I was willing to make an exception for Vitek's. However, with their closing, I must categorically state that Memphis BBQ is superior. Nothing better than some smoked pork with some dry rub.

Still, I'll miss the Gutpak.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to the smoky pork, viva cozy corner!
Le boeuf est mort, viva le hog!

OsoDelSol said...

Very sad. I had my last Gutpak last week and it made me ever so sad.

Poseur said...

7:25 Anon... comment of the month.

Even better than Matt's poem.

Anonymous said...

please don't assume waco bbq is anything like bbq in the rest of the state. try bbq from luling, lockhart, elgin, et. al before making a categorization of "texas bbq."

Anonymous said...

screw you baker.

Love,
Matt

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to agree in part and disagree in part Stephen. While pork barbecue beats it's beef counterpart, there's none better than the slow-roasted, vinegar based Eastern North Carolina style. Granted, I'm a tad bit biased, but who isn't when it comes to their barbecue?

Anonymous said...

ditto the Texas alum...try the central market in luling and cooper's in llano before believing that vitek's and rudy's speak for Texas barbecue. also, try de maria's and jasper's here in waco for slightly better examples of Texas barbecue than all other barbecue restaurants in waco.

David Hilburn said...

Bill Vitek is just on vacation, looking to scale back/scale out and looking for his successor. Rumor has it that he has found him and Vitek's will be re-opening in mid-March.

The Last Gutpack hasn't been served yet.