Friday, December 15, 2006

Election Party In the Dean's Office!

I’m not sure if its official, but Chris’ campaign for Commencement Speaker looks to have been a rousing success. Hell, it would have been a success had he lost just because it was pretty damn funny (while the sign on the bear was great, Osler’s negative campaigning was simply inspired). Now Chris has his Robert Redford moment similar to the end of The Candidate: “well, now what?”*

But, if his filing is any indication, Chris will make a terrific speaker who will make the festivities, well, festive. Even when he’s having his rare serious moment, he was interesting. I think the students will have made a wise choice of Chris wins, and maybe choosing a Guy With A Blog is a good idea for future graduations. We just have to wait for there to be another funny, smart, and interesting Baylor blogger to come along. Good luck with that. For right now, you suckers are stuck with me, Swanburg, a girl who rips off The Family Circus, and about a million 1Ls**. I don’t foresee anyone being dumb enough to give any of us a microphone. I certainly wouldn’t unless karaoke was involved.

Congrats to Chris. And a great job by the administration to go along with the joke while at the same time insuring that graduation maintains its dignity. That’s a fairly difficult balancing act. People grouse about the powers that be quite a bit, but they were pretty cool about this one. See, we don’t take ourselves too seriously.


*Does anyone know what I’m talking about? I sometimes go too obscure on references thinking people will actually know what I’m talking about. I know you know Robert Redford. Have you seen The Candidate? It’s a great movie. Go rent it, you won’t be sorry. Really. Even if I have given away the ending. Oh, and Rosebud is a sled and the chick in The Crying Game is a dude.

**And we all get upstaged by a professor. Seriously, we suck. Osler stole my joke this week, told everyone he was stealing my joke, and was still funnier than me. I can accept the profs are smarter and more talented than me, but also funnier? It’s not right.

3 comments:

Mark Osler said...

I did steal your joke.
Next week, my plan is to steal your look. Any tips?

Poseur said...

Wake up at 7:30. Arrive at school at 8. Whatever happens in those 30 minutes is kind of random. Seriously, you can't plan the look I have, it just sort of happens to you. Like catching smallpox.

Mark Osler said...

So, you're saying I need to forego my usual extensive grooming regimine? Wow... I'll try that.