Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm Not a Mushroom, I'm a Fungi

I was in Houston this weekend to visit an old friend who has just earned his PhD in molecular bology. He coded the genetic sequence of some bacteria or virus. I get confused. I know its not a fungus. His department does not deal in fungi. Anyway, I don't understand it. And there's a 200 page book he wrote about this thing I don't understand and now I have to call him "doctor".

Scientists can really drink. They can also have some mind-numbingly boring coversations. Did you know there are several different ways to code DNA? Neither did I, but I as trapped in a converstaion anout it (the people next to me were talking about the herpes virus). I now know what its like for a non-law student to hang out with law students.

It sucks. Until the beer gets flowing, then its ok. Then I'm an expert on fungi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was trying to explain to my wife why the following sentence is funny: "The perspective that courts ordinarily need not consider whether a duty limits liability reflects Justice Andrews' position and has caused considerable controversy in the meetings of the American Law Institute." Things were fine until I said "See, it comes from Palsgraf v.--" When "v" came out, her eyes glazed over like jelly beans, and I got scared she had gone comatose standing there.

I'll learn from your experience.