Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Guns Don't Kill People, Comedy Does

Let me explain comedy to people. I wouldn’t think I would need to do this, but sometimes we need a refresher. Borat’s anti-semitism is funny not because he’s anti-semitic, but because Sasha Cohen is an Orthodox Jew and he’s using the fake anti-Semitism of his fictional character to expose the very real anti-Semitism of those around him. He’s using comedy to make social commentary.

This is not “only Jews can make fun of the Jews,” this is simply understanding why the joke is funny in the first place. Because it puts society up to the funhouse mirror. So, when you do a Borat parody at a Baptist school, its not funny. Why? Because it’s just racist.

Racist? Not funny. See the difference between parodying racists and actually being a racist? It’s the difference between Dave Chappelle’s Ku Klux Klan bit and Michael “Kramer” Richards actually acting like a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

And don’t give us the lame, “I expressly disavow anything offensive.” That’s a cop out. To quote They Might Be Giants, “you can’t shake the devil’s hand and say you’re only kidding.” The whole thing was offensive.

Comedy is dangerous. I’m not good with guns, so I do my best not to shoot one or else I might hurt someone unintentionally. Perhaps you should take the same precautions with comedy. If you’re just not very good at it, you're going to hurt people unintentionally.

*Ed Note – I am not going to reproduce the email. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t, you don’t. It was an attempt at humor, and it failed. Giving it a wider release would be wrong, but so would letting it go without comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One more thing. It has come to my attention that some people either are born without a sense of humor or at a very early age it is beaten out of them. This is a fact of life for some people, and the result of bad parenting for others. In any event, I don't blame you, nor do I carry any ill will towards you. However, much like some people should not wear spandex (and I KNOW you know what I'm talking about) some people should not comment on comedy.

You can have an opinion, no one can take that away from you, but allowing yourself to comment on comedy just makes you look (pick a word depending on the situation or the comedy) stupid/ignorant/petty/ racist/ ect.

It has also come to my attention that some of these people might not know who they are. Therefore, I've developed a simple test to clue you in (because I'm a nice guy).

1) If you think that Stephen Colbert is truly one of the great conservatives of our day, you might be an anti-humorite.

2) If you thought Borat was a window into the barbarism of the world outside of the U.S., you might be an anti-humorite.

3) If you found yourself feeling "bad" for Hardball, in the infamous John Stewart interview you might be an anti-humorite.

4) If you tune into "Mind of Mencia" to do cultural research, or repeat anything he says in genuine anger, you might be an anti-humorite.

5) If you listen to "jimmy eat world" at least once a week, you definitely are an anti-humorite. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

So, go forth and be a responsible commentator, and remember to be sensitive to the condition of your fellow man. Understand the reason behind what you are saying.

Love,

Matt

OsoDelSol said...

I enjoyed that, Matt.