Sunday, October 21, 2007

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.”

Well, we lost. I'm pretty ticked about it. Mainly because I feel like we performed well and we should have won, and we don't even get to see the ballots so I don't know what the judges thought. I would like to have that sort of feedback. Since I just want to get the negative stuff out first, I'll also say that I got turned down for a job, lost my luggage, and dealt with a rainy day on our one day off.

OK, enough with that. The good stuff..

I spent four days in Key West. There is no downside there. I practiced my opening statement on the beach to the ocean under a beautiful night sky.

It was a great team and I was honored to be a part of it. If I ever learn to make a closing argument halfway as good as Dez, I’ll be a tremendously successful lawyer. Christie and Heather are both outstanding advocates, and they both made me work harder and get better than I ever thought I could be. So I really do thank them for not only putting up with me for a weekend, but also for enabling me to improve by helping me look at things in completely different ways. I wouldn’t trade my teammates for anyone in the entire school or any other for that matter. You guys rock.

Baylor fed us well. Osler has an uncanny ability to find the greatest restaurants in town. Gordon has the uncanny ability to eat anything not nailed down.

LSU won. While not related, that was pretty cool.

Finally, even though I am disappointed by the results, I am not disappointed in our performance. And when I look back on law school, this will be one of the memories I will cherish. Not just this weekend and the intense competition and the running jokes, but the entire process. It wasn’t being there, it was the getting there. And the late nights and the hard work may not have won me a trophy, but it made me better. And learning to be better is the whole reason while we’re here.

Thanks for letting us represent Baylor Law. I wouldn’t have traded it for anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

**no words just one tear drops from my right eye**


Dez

Poseur said...

Who knew that Dez was the sensitive type?

Katie said...

Not me. j/k