Thursday, October 11, 2007

More Baseball. Sorry.

My adopted, almost-beloved Arizona Diamondbacks kick off the NLCS tonight. And, if you're like most people in the country, you don't care. But I will now vent on behalf of the D-back Nation, if they don't mind me speaking up despite only rooting for the team for year, and only as a means to keep the Orioles from killing me off.



Dear Baseball Fans,

Screw you.

We're sick of your "no one cares about the NL now that the Cubs have lost" columns. We're sick of the "they allowed more runs than they scored" columns. We're sick of everyone picking against us. ESPN had twenty columnists pick the playoffs (which probably means they have too many people writing about baseball), and not one picked the D-backs to win the Series. Not one picked the D-backs to even make the World Series. Only FOUR picked the D-backs to beat the Cubs.

Let me now point out that the Cubs had the worst record of any team in the postseason and that they are, well, the Cubs. Let me also note that the Diamondbacks posted the NL's best record and have homefield advantage through the playoffs. Over 162 games, the D-backs proved themselves to be the best team in the NL, and eighty percent of ESPN's columnists picked them to lose to the Cubs. The same Cubs who have not won a World Series in 99 years.

And I'm not picking on ESPN. 71 percent of fans think the Rockies are going to beat the Snakes. Seventy-one percent. Let me point out that the Rockies' best pitcher is Jeff Francis.

Look, I like the Rockies. And I wouldn't mind the Tribe finally winning a Series, goodness knows their fans deserve it for rooting for lousy teams in every sport and, well, living in Cleveland. As long as the Red Sox lose, I'm pretty happy. Especially since the Yankees have already taken the gas pipe.

But, seriously, would it kill y'all to give the Diamondbacks just a little bit of respect?

Signed,
The Diamondbacks

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm rooting for the Sox, and I have to go with the hometeam because that's just the way it goes... but I promise to be happy for the D-backs anyway if they wipe CO, and will root for them if the Indians win over Boston.

Jeremy Masten said...

Diamondbacks fans just haven't suffered enough yet. I have no sympathy for them.

Poseur said...

Well, I am an O's fan first. And I've suffered.

Though the Backs did get crushed last night. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

I heart you for speaking up for the D-Backs. I am proud, and Trail would be proud.

And Jesus hates the Yankees.

Richard Pittman said...

Jesus and everyone else with the sense God gave a cat.