Monday, April 16, 2007

Weclome to the World

I swear I was studying this weekend. I had my CivLib notes out, and I was going through all of the different tests for public fora when I got the phone call: a chance to meet Anna Lucia. And that was the end of the studying.



Now, there are several things going on that photo. Yes, I am holding a baby. Yes, I am also holding a glass of scotch. And most disturbingly, it was Anna Lucia's dad who gave both of those things to me. Other than that lapse in judgement, I'm sure he'll be a wonderful dad.

I love babies. Particularly other people's babies, because I am not responsible for their well-being. But Anna Lucia was just so small and so cute, and she has her whole life ahead of her. Literally. It's hard not to be in awe of that. Why would you try not to be? I also respect her dedication to eating and sleeping, two of my favorite things in the world.

It's just that she is completely dependent on other people. Anna Lucia can't even feed herself, yet she will be absolutely adored and taken care of by her parents. And there's nothing in the world they wouldn't do for her. It makes me happy to know that there is a new person in the world surrounded by so much love.

Besides, when I talk to her, Matt says I sound like Bert from Sesame Street.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Dallas when you called. I'm still broken-hearted over missing my chance to meet her.

Poseur said...

That's me. Breaking women's hearts.

Jon Swanburg said...

Not to spoil your fun but that's not a child. I'm guessing they handed you 8 or 9 of those Scotches prior to handing you this blanket with the caveat, don't puke on it Baker, please, just don't puke on it.

I'm assuming you took that as meaning a child was involved but I assure you, one was not. On the bright side, I'm sure everyone was amused when you started talking to the blanket in your Bert voice; I'm sure it was cute.

Anonymous said...

Katie,

Don't worry, she'll be around for a while! I'm not sure what the schedule is like right now for Johanna, but I may convince her to stay or come back after finals and we can have people over again.

Poseur said...

Trust me, Anna Lucia was a greater threat to puke on me than I was to puke on her.

And Katie, she is super cute. Even cuter than you.

Katie said...

Papa Arguello - I'm happy to hear that. I was going to call and ask you to arrange a special meeting after finals. I don't get to see her mom and dad enough either.

Stephen - I allow babies to be cuter than me. They really are unbeatable. Just remember that I am a close runner-up under any standard.

Richard Pittman said...

Babies are cute, but I promise you they are not ALWAYS cute. When they scream for 45 minutes while refusing to accept food, a pacifier, or anything else that usually calms them, you stop thinking they're cute.

Then they stop screaming for a few minutes and they're cute again.