Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech Shootings

My brother went to Virginia Tech. So did a lot of my friends. I've been on the campus a countless number of times for a countless number of reasons. I've had the good fortune to charge their basketball court and their football field. I've partied in their frat houses, stayed in their dorms, and even sat in on a few classes. I feel a certain kinship with the Hokies, even though I never went to school there. It's a beautiful campus nestled in the Appalachian Mountains and I know firsthand how easy it is to fall in love with Blacksburg.

So I really don't know what to say about all of this.

32 dead? At least 24 more injured? The worst instance of school violence in our country's history, and it took place right by the Drill Field. I know where that is. I recognize those buildings.

I'm too old to know anyone who still goes to VT. But I imagine those kids are just like my brother, just like my friends who went there. I wish I had something profound to say. I wish I had the words. But I don't. It's just so sad. And I'm just so angry.

The same day I'm on here talking about how great it is that a baby has her whole life ahead of her, at least 32 kids just had their lives cut short. They thought they had their whole lives ahead of them. They were making plans for the future, preparing for life. Dreaming about what they were going to be. And that's all gone now. The shooter is dead. 32 people are dead. 24 more are injured. Why do these things happen? Life isn't fair. They had their whole lives ahead of them...

Who the fuck shoots anyone in Blacksburg?

1 comment:

Katie said...

There are some things in life that we just can't understand. I'm glad that we don't though. You can't make sense out of the senseless.