Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pass the Cigars!

My partner in crime over at GeauxTuscaloosa is now a dad. Baby Pittman was born yesterday, thereby insuring that he will not get a decent night's sleep for the next two years. I'll spare you all the details, but I'm pretty stoked, and I'm not even related*. So if you see me grinning like an idiot, it's not because I am an idiot. Well, at least it's not the reason I'm grinning.

I'm pretty excited for him. But I guess that means he's a no go for the Vegas trip, eh?

*Ed. Note - This means of the number of parents in my group of friends from college is up to three. This is one of those "I'm getting old" things I don't mind so much. I love babies. Particularly other people's babies, because I'm not responsible for their care and maintenance. I can just play with them (and their toys) for an hour or so and then give them back to mom and dad.

2 comments:

Richard Pittman said...

Being a dad rocks. I can't really say why it rocks, but holding your daughter in your arms for the first time is (cliche alert) a life changing event.

I had a law school professor who was about my age, and who had just had a baby of his own. He was a pretty cerebral guy, a real academic type. I would call him a "pointy headed geek", but we'd be getting into a pot-kettle situation. He told me one day that he would happily kill a person to protect his child, and that he was amazed when he came to the realization that he would/could bring himself to do that, him not being someone ordinarily prone to violence. I understand what he meant.

Anonymous said...

Post about the old guy.