Thursday, March 22, 2007

Fever Breaks Like A Bone

Most people misuse the word ambivalent. It does not mean that one doesn't care about something, it means that one feels strongly both ways on something. I bring this up because I am ambivalent towards the feeling I get when my fever breaks.

I'm happy to no longer have a fever, and feel about 100% better than I did last night when I was seriously contemplating my funeral arrangements. But I absolutely hate that moment when I wake up shivering, drenched in sweat. And it's not like the pain in my joints has gone away (like it ever will).

I guess I'm as well as I can expect. But a warning to whoever I'm barristering for: I'm in a really lousy mood and feel like taking it out on you. Nothing personal.

Completely unrelated, but most people also misuse penultimate. It means second to last. It's one of my favorite words because I can say, with all honesty, I was at the penultimate game of Cal Ripken's Streak.

3 comments:

Praise the Highlander said...

How erudite you are Poseur! Such an adroit use of vocabulary. Are you more astute when you are sick or have I just not been cognizant of your scopious talents?

Get better soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm patiently awaiting your eloquent review of the first round you barristered in moot court.

Poseur said...

Actually, it was the second round I barristered. And, unfortunately, everyone was on their game and I didn't really get to be too mean. Well, except for the fact I saved my hardest question until right as time expired on rebuttal. That was kind of mean. But that was mainly because I forgot to ask it earlier.