Saturday, September 15, 2007

Under The Lights

I went to my first Texas high school football game last night. I didn't grow up in the culture of Friday Night Lights, and I'm not entirely sure if my high school even played football. I'm sure we did, but no one went to games or anything. I remember going to a homecoming dance or two, so I'm sure there were actual homecoming games as well. But Wedding Crashers was lying when they said "Football and crabcakes... that what we do in Maryland!" We like sports in which we're allowed to carry a weapon.

More than anything, I'm stunend by the sheer size of it all. I guess this is Texas, and big is what y'all do, but the Waco ISD stadium is pretty darn big. And while it wasn't packed to capacity, it wasn't a ghost town either.

I'm a fan of small sporting events. I like the local feel of things and I like how this is the most important thing in the world to a small few, while the rest of the world couldn't care less. For a little more than two hours, it was really important that Waco High beat the snot out of Corsicana (which they did). That's pretty cool.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The really sad thing is that many high school stadiums here in Texas make the Waco ISD stadium look diminuitive.

Anonymous said...

Is "diminuitive" a jury word?

Love,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Ask Puckett some time about his high school's football stadium. Seriously, do it. E-mail. He'll answer.

You'll throw up in your mouth and start waking up in the middle of the night thinking that school finance reform in Texas truly is dire indeed.

Richard Pittman said...

What are you doing going to a high school football game? You should be reading up for Practice Court.

Poseur said...

One of my favorite things about the book Friday Night Lights is that on the one hand, I am truly repulsed by how much money and effort the community puts into their football team while their school is failing. While at the same exact time, I'm completely drawn into the team and want them to win every game.

I have no idea what is the condition of the Waco school system, but the football team appears healthy.

And in Louisiana, I did go to a high school football game in which the home team had astroturf. So I'm not totally alien to big time high school football. But it does sort of creep me out.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you switched teams so easily. I realize you can be bought, but for a t-shirt?!?! While Corsicana lost, it was fun cheering for the underdog.

Richard Pittman said...

My loyalty can usually be bought with much less than a T-shirt.

Poseur said...

Actually, I didn't have a t-shirt. Emily and Hollie had Waco High shirts. so I can be bought by cute girls wearing the t-shirt. Who also give me food and beer (before the game... no alcohol at the high school stadium)

Anonymous said...

food, beer and girls...that explanation makes much more sense