Saturday, July 21, 2007

Take Your Camera And Photograph My Tears Before They Hit They Ground

Finals are over and the usual post-finals festivities have descended upon Waco. For my part, I'm still cleaning the cigarette butts from my balcony. So thanks, everyone. And this is the part what I'd usually launch into some ill-advised story or try and make a cute history joke which shows off my dorkiness with a certain ironic detachment.

But I'm not going to do that because I got the phone call on Friday morning that my friend Rob had lost his bout with cancer. I knew it was coming, eventually. He beat it once, but that just seemed to piss the cancer off and it came back with a vengeance a year ago. Which is so grossly unfair because... well... like I need to explain that. He was too good of a person, too young of a guy, filled with too much love for his wife and family...

It's just not right. It doesn't make sense. I guess it's not supposed to. But the next time you're complaining about how tough classes are or how this thing in your life isn't going your way... well, you know.

I'm sorry.

We'll be back to our regular scheduled bullshit soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last week, my daughter's 6 year-old friend Paul finished his fight with cancer.

You can see his remarkable story as told by his father at www.paulsaxon.com/

Richard Pittman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard Pittman said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Did I ever meet Rob?

By the way, I think I might be the only guy who reads this to recognize the Idlewild lyrics.

Poseur said...

You don't know Rob. He was a friend from DC.

And thanks, Rev. That was remarkable.

Anonymous said...

http://www.dawgsports.com/story/2007/7/22/01917/8233

...to continue our discussion of reasons why ESPN is crappy.

Anonymous said...

http://www.dawgsports.com/story/
2007/7/22/01917/8233

...that's the full address

Suziequz said...

Thanks for taking a moment for Rob. Kate would really be touched. She's surviving - but it's an uphill battle.