Friday, November 24, 2006

One Of Those Touchy-Feely Posts

I wasn't planning on coming home for Thanksgiving. My family just lives too far away for it to be worth the trip, so I was going to stay in Texas with some friends and enjoy Thanksgiving as a guest in someone else's home. But then my Oil and Gas class got cancelled and my Wednesday night was free. And the cost of plane tickets dropped as the airlines tried to unload their inventory.

So I ended up on a plane on Thanksgiving morning to DC. I arrived in time for dinner, and my brother took me to their home for his and his fiancee's first time hosting Thanksgiving. My mom didn't know I was coming, and I wanted to surprise her. My brother and I talked on the car ride back from the airport:

"Couldn't you have told her you were coming?"
"Yes. But I wanted her to be surprised."
"She would have been surprised if you had called her."
"But then I wouldn't see her be surprised. I'd lose the benefit of the bargain."
"What?"
"Nevermind. Law school ruining the way I talk again."

I walked in the door, and it didn't register with my mom at first. But when it did, she cried and hugged me like she hadn't seen me in years. I hugged her back, and maybe I got something in my eye. I'm not saying.

I think she was surprised. The trip was definitely worth it.

Count your blessings this season, for they are many. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go downstairs and eat pie for breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm... pie for breakfast. Now if only I had some damned coffee...

I thought about calling y'all yesterday, but didn't want to, IDK, interrupt or something. Yeah, I'm lame like that. Hugs all around, though.

Poseur said...

You wouldn't have interrupted. We talked to Wendy's parents, Uncle Bobby, and Charles. Calls come in all of the time during Turkey Day.