Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Olympic Consulting Boondoggle

There is no greater lie in politics greater than a candidate who promises "reform". The second greatest lie is when a politician promises that a sports arena is going to make money for a community. Even as a sports fan, I find publicly financed stadiums to be a boondoggle and an embarrassment*.

With that in mind, Reuters is reporting that the original 2.4 billion pound price tag for the 2012 London Olympics has already been adjusted upwards to 3.3 billion pounds. OK, that's not news. A sports arena overbudget? Particular an Olympic venue? Shocking! But the story includes this gem:

The new estimate for the Olympic Park includes a 400 million pound fee that will be paid to consultants responsible for making sure costs come in on budget, Jowell told a parliamentary committee


Let's recap.

The London Olympics are 900 million pounds overbudget. 400 million pounds of that is a consulting fee to make sure the project comes in under budget. I think I see a potential savings of almost half of their cost overlays.

In related news, consultants have now moved into first place on the list of the World's Most Hated Professions. Lawyers, insurance adjusters, mortgage loan officers, and IRS auditors salute you.


*Ed Note- I admit it. That was just an excuse to use the word "boondoggle." Boondoggle. Boondoggle. Boondoggle. Say it out loud. It's really fun. No, I'm not drinking. Why do you ask?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I consider You and a certain latin compadre some of my best friends in Law School. With that in mind, I thought it proper to note the following:

1) The certain latin compadre was an independent claims adjuster before law school

2) You were a lobbyist AND a mortgage loan officer before law school (if I remember correctly)

3) We're all going to be lawyers.

4) Maybe I should take some time off of law school and either: 1) become an IRS auditor (I have the credentials), or 2) consult on the proper use of the word "literally" (a highly marketable start-up industry)

5) Because I haven't been carrying my weight in my life choices, in two years we will only represent 4 of the 6 most hated professions.

6) Should I find it odd that the lack of complete perfection of this situation actually bothers me on some fundamental level?

7) I hate the cold. I think of it as a yearly reminder of how Sherman invaded the South and destroyed all our crops and ruined all our homes. The cold is the new scourge from the North*.

Love,
Matt


*And since we all know you are my token Northern representative (though Texan in training, thus subject to hazing), I blame you. Please make it stop.

Anonymous said...

Baker make sure you come to class on time from now on.

T.

Poseur said...

Yeah, I chose the professions based on some personal experience. I can tell you right now, Philip Morris is far less evil than the average mortgage loan company. Given my resume, I think eventually I will find work clubbing baby seals.

I moved south to get away from the cold. This was not in the brochure.