Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Hokie Bird vs. Bevo


CollegeFootballNews recently ranked the top 25 mascots in college sports. It’s a fun list, though I am irritated that Mike the Tiger only is #21. You’d think having a live bengal tiger outside the opposing team’s dressing room would be higher on the list. Seriously. A live tiger. That beats the hell out of a bulldog. Though I’m ok with Ralphie the Buffalo being #1. Especially since Sherp told me running with the buffalo is a varsity sport. And that kind of thing makes me happy.

However, let’s pick on Texas fans, which I know is hazardous around these parts. Bevo is #3 on the list, and let’s quote the write up on him:

In 1915, a Texas student raised $100 to by what turned out to be an uncontrollable steer that basically did whatever it wanted to. A group of Aggie fans, as a prank, put a 13-0 brand on the animal, the score of A&M's 1915 win over the Longhorns. The Texas handler quickly turned the one and the three into a B, and the fashioned an EVO to come up with the name. The first BEVO, too wild to tame, was eventually eaten.


The first Bevo was eaten. I can’t stress this enough. That’s not a mascot, that’s dinner. How great can a mascot be if he’s just a few months away from roasting on a spit? What other mascot on the list can be served with a nice chianti? Just the Hokie bird (which is a turkey). My brother went to Virginia Tech and I still ask him to pass the Hokie during Thanksgiving. But what makes the Hokie a good mascot is its inherent ridiculousness. It’s a step up from the Stanford Tree or the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slug. UT fans will insist Bevo is not a ridiculous mascot.

Well, it is. It’s a cow. A cow that is one step away from being eaten by the students if he ever steps out of line.

8 comments:

Poseur said...

I would love to see a live mascot tourney. Last one standing, wins. I'm willing to bet Uga doesn't make it out of the first round. I feel pretty good about Mike the Tiger's chances, but as much as it pains me, I think Tiger the War Eagle would be the winner due to his ability to fly above the fray.

Anonymous said...

dammit...that story of the origins of Bevo is just plain wrong. Bevo was known as Bevo before the 13-0 branding in '15 (which was the score of the '13 game if memory serves me correct). There is a lot of speculation as to the origins of "Bevo." Some think it was a play of the word (by adding an o at the end--much like stev-o, which apparently was a popular thing to do around that time) beef (also said to be called beeve at the time) or of a cheap beer called beev. Regardless, no one knows the true origins of "Bevo" but that it cannot be attributied to a bunch of aggys. And yes some of my facts may be a bit incorrect, but the idea is not. And yes, he was the main course at the end of the season.

Anonymous said...

the real story... http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=39&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=42&change_well_id=2

Poseur said...

I would work harder to dispute the "eaten at the end of the season" part than the "Aggie prank" part.

But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

i don't see a lot of signifance with the part about being eaten afterwards (but then again i was raised on a farm). i do see a problem with our #2 rival trying to lay claim to the beginning of one of our best traditions.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes....
I wish you would get charged by a longhorn

That's all.

Love,
Matt

Anonymous said...

I don't think they charge so much as stampede...

Anonymous said...

What other mascot would you suggest for the Texas Longhorns?

We did have a dog once...Pig Belmont.

J