Thursday, November 16, 2006

Burrito Sandwich

The Massachusettes courts deal with the important issues of our times

Locke said the New Webster Third International Dictionary's definition of sandwich -- "two thin pieces of bread, usually buttered, with a thin layer (as of meat, cheese, or savoury mixture) spread between them" -- indicated there was no reason to keep White City from renting to Qdoba.

"Under this definition and as dictated by common sense, this court finds that the term 'sandwich' is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans," the judge said in an eight-page ruling.


I'm not sure why it takes eight pages to say that burritos aren't sandwiches, but I'm glad we finally have some legal authoirty for this position. And I'd like to protest the New Webster Third International Dictionary definition. Are the pieces of bread in a sandwich usually buttered? I never butter my sandwich, and don't know anyone who does. I cry foul.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Brits do.

Anonymous said...

I butter my grilled cheese sandwiches

Poseur said...

Yes, and we take all of our culinary advice from the freaking British. The same country whose only culinary skill is to add more salt. And mad cow disease.

So, the heavy weight of evidence in favor of people who butter sandwiches are

1) The British
2) An anonymous commentator's grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm assuming (s)he does not butter his/her peanut butter and jelly sanwiches. Or does the peanut butter count?

Anonymous said...

Next Pressing Question: When will we get a court opinion on the Gordito?

James Close said...

Haha, I totally almost blogged about that same article...

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying we should do it just because the Brits do, but that it possibly accounts for its notation in the dictionary.

I think the official British cooking slogan is "The More Dairy, The Better" -- gramma Phyllis even butters cheese sandwiches (of the non-grilled variety). /shudder