Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tax Day

My boss isn’t just a lawyer, he’s also a CPA. Which means yesterday was sort of like the Worst Day Ever for him, only it repeats itself every year. Of course, when he was finishing up those tax returns, someone had to bring them all to the post office to fight off the long lines and the protesters (honest to God… protesters, apparently some people aren’t big fans of Alexander Hamilton’s sage words that taxes are the price of ordered society). Of course, it fell to the new guy to drive to the one post office in Dallas open after 7 PM. Not like he just moved to Dallas and has no idea where anything is, so he ended up driving around looking for, and I quote, “a big flag” for about half an hour. Yeesh, I’d hate to be that guy, he got totally screwed…

... oh wait. Damn it.

Paul says it’s good for me. He told me I haven’t been complaining enough, which is the mark of a lawyer.

2 comments:

jugraham said...

Well, I was going to comment on an old post - but thought you might not read it. How about free throw shooting and knowing when to foul, when up by 3. Fundamentals. I know you have been right often, or at least can be right when it comes to sports, but your call(blog) on Memphis was entirely BS.

I figured since I hadn't seen nor heard from you in some time, I should just pick up where I left off, picking on you... I trust that all is well in Dallas. Would really like to know how you're enjoying your time there. God Bless.

JRG

Poseur said...

I still think the knock on Memphis having a lack of "fundamentals" is coded racism. This game will be forever remembered as the game in which Memphis couldn't hit a free throw (nevermind that they shot free throws well throughout the tourney), but the great Indiana-Syracuse title tilt from the '80s is remembered as The Game In Which Keith Smart hit an awesome shot at the buzzer. Nevermind that Syracuse blew that game because they couldn't hit a free throw either.

And wow, Memphis came apart as soon as Dorsey fouled out. He was that team's heart, even if he was nowhere near it's best player.

I don't think Memphis lost because a lack of fundamentals. I do think they lost because they thought the game was over before the clock hit 0:00.