Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Six Demon Bag

The floor shook. I mean, it was really shaking. It was buckling so bad I thought there was a real chance we were all going to fall through and land on the patrons of the bar downstairs. A dancing banana was trying to start a mosh pit. Earlier in the evening, Acosta was trying to bum cigarettes and we suggested the guy in the banana costume, but that idea was quickly shot down as his outfit didn’t have pockets. But just ten minutes ago, we saw him smoking a Marlboro.

Everyone played the drums. Everyone. The lead singer ran around stage and was tapping out the beat against the scaffolding. And as we stomped our feet or danced or jumped up and down or whatever… the floor held up. Even as we felt it buckle beneath our feet.

One of the joys of liking small, indie rock bands is that you have moments like these. When you drag a few friends to see a band they’ve either never heard of, or only heard of vaguely all those times when they are politely ignoring you. And then they come, and the band is every bit as good as you promised. And they are sending text messages to their friends to go check out Man Man. Why? Because Man Man is friggin’ awesome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where was my invite? and who the hell is Man Man???

L

Mark Osler said...

That wasn't a Marlboro I was smoking, it was a Winston. And it got hot in that costume.

Anonymous said...

Did the cadaver knee hold up through all this "dancing" and "jumping"?

Poseur said...

Man Man is, to quote Mike, "apparently a bunch of guys who watched Tommy one too many times on way too much acid."

And you were hanging out with Acosta when I invited him. Yeesh. And you did get a facebook invite about two weeks ago. I'm not dragging y'all kicking and screaming.

Rev. Horton Heat on May 15th at the HOB... you in? And I think Northern State is playing a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

So it is Acosta I have to blame!! I am definitely in for Northern State and a maybe on Rev. Heat [I think I have to go out of town on that day].

L