Wednesday, November 14, 2007

We Get Political

I try to avoid politics here at Poseur HQ. Mainly because I used to work in politics and now because of that experience, I'm far too cynical to believe in either party. I like to use the old shorthand that Republicans are evil and Democrats are incompetent, knowing fully well this isn't true. Each party's leadership is both evil AND incompetent.

But I don't think I'm stepping out on a huge limb when I say that the Iraq War was a really bad idea. Not counting the death toll, which is a cost I find unacceptable, the bill came due:
The financial toll of America's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq was laid bare yesterday when a congressional committee estimated the cost of both conflicts at $1.6 trillion (£771bn) and rising - $20,000 for every family of four in the US.

The LA Times says that's a lowball estimate and we could be looking at a $3 trillion bill. Considering there are contractors involved, I'd expect the cost to keep going up just like the bill on your home renovations.

Twenty thousand dollars per family. Couldn't they have just cut me a check?

No comments: