Friday, January 11, 2008

Sir Edmund Hillary Was Really Cool

Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to climb Mount Everest, died today. I use this as an excuse to link to the Times of London calling the rest of us a bunch of ninnies:
“The mountain is littered with aluminium ladders and thousands of feet of fixed rope,” he wrote. “Deep tracks are beaten up the mountain by dozens of eager feet. Even on Hillary Step near the summit there is usually a choice of three ropes to ascend.”

I think he's calling modern mountain climbers are bunch of sissies. That's right at you, Prof. Contracts. Of course, I'm such a sissy, I don't even climb the big rock at the Slick. Heck, I get dizzy just going to third floor of the BLS. Heights are bad. It's not that heights frighten me, it's falling from them that scares me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://www.slate.com/id/2181776?GT1=10837

Look for the Posner cameo. :)