Friday, January 25, 2008

Sign On The Dotted Line

College football recruiting makes me feel sort of dirty. It's a creepy business, and it's all so shady that I'd just rather not think about it. All of those kids who are going to sign with my school are doing so because of a deep love of my alma mater. Right? Right?

Anyway, the NCAA pretty heavily regulates recruiting, but it doesn't do a good job because everyone agrees it is an icky business. And how do you make something as seedy as recruiting not seedy? It's like outlawing jealousy.

Which is why I've always sort of admired Florida' Urban Meyer, who throws himself into the loopholes of recruiting with reckless abandon. Rules against phone calls? No problem. Send a whole bunch of text (now against the rules). Spurned by a guy with questionable academics? No problem. Alert the NCAA to the jump in his ACT scores so no one else can get him. But this is my favorite...

Meyer is now recruiting girlfriends. He found a scholarship in gymnastics to a recruit's girlfriend in the hopes he would follow his true love to school. While it might be against the rules, it is pretty brilliant.

1 comment:

Craig said...

I've never liked Urban Meyer for this exact reason. He's got no integrity. How about from now on all lawyer jokes become Urban Meyer jokes? Most should translate straight over without a problem.