Tuesday, February 05, 2008

20 Reasons I'm A Dork

I am a gigantic dork. But finally, I have a way to measure my geek-dom, as The Onion's AV club has helpfully posted the 20 pop culture obsessions geekier than Monty Python (HEY! Monty Python is not... oh, nevermind). So here's how I stack up in their list:

1 STAR TREK
Actually, I'm not a big Trekkie. though I do know the difference between Trekkies and Trekkers, so that can't be a good sign. And I've seen all of the movies. Well, crap.

2 REN FAIRES
Yup. I've been to Rennaissance Faires. I even knew the beer wench personally. No joke, she dated my best friend. I didn't dress up or anything, though I did eat a gigantic turkey leg, which is always fun.

3 FANTASY SPORTS LEAGUES
Kind of my dork wheelhouse. Let's just move on.

4 MICHAEL JACKSON
I don't even know how this makes the list. I know a lot of geeks, and we have never sat around and talked about Michael Jackson. nor were any of us actually Michael Jackson. So, no geekiness here.

5 WIKIPEDIA
I don't edit entries, but I do spend waaaaaaay too much time on the wiki. Sometimes you just have to look up 18th century French philosophers.

6 BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
Best show on TV. God, I am a gigantic dork. It's remarkable I've even kissed a girl.

7 ROCKY HORROR
Like I would ever turn down a Barry Bostwick/ Susan Sarandon movie with Tim Curry in drag. And I have thrown toast. This isn't going well for me, is it?

8 JOSS WHEDON
Buffy, no. Firefly, si! Not a huge fan, but i'm still sitting at dork table on this one.

9 MEDIA SPECIFIC ROLE PLAYING
I like my RPG's to enable me to create my own characters. those guys who need an RPG based on Harry Potter are TOTAL dorks. What losers.

10 MAGIC: THE GATHERING
Too dorky even for me, as this is the pyrmaid scheme of dorkiness. The game is won by whoever is most willing to invest the most money into the game. That's not really winning.

11 WORLD OF WARCRAFT
Actually, I don't play any video game. So there. Two straight! I'm not a dork!

12 THE SIMPSONS
Well, they meant Simpsons obsessiveness, which I don't have. Though I do love me Matt Groening.

13 DOCTOR WHO
Now we're getting into the dork underbrush! Huge fan. It was the only reason to watch PBS as a kid.

14 FRANK ZAPPA
Actually, despite my obsessive indie rock geekiness, I do not own a single Frank Zappa album. Not a one. Wow. I suck.

15 GAME SHOW TAPE TRADING
I didn't even know this existed. I'm losing my dork bona fides.

16 ANIME
Not for me. I'll admit it, I like Disney films. Give me a princess followed by small woodland creatures and I'm happy.

17 COSPLAY
I'm not dressing up as a cartoon character. Except maybe, just maybe, Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

18 LIVE ACTION ROLE PLAYING
No comment.

19 FACEBOOK
Baylor Law is doomed.

20 FANFIC
There is nothing good about fanfic. Nothing.


Overall, I'm pretty darn dorky. I'm surprised blogging wasn't counted against me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dork" is a common slang personal name for one of the main figures in the CGI software Poser.

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dork

Poseur said...

That makes me so immensely happy I am going to write a fanfic about it.

James Close said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

I'm not ashamed...

Anonymous said...

Battlestar Galactica is the greatest show I've ever seen. I'm re-watching the first season and can't believe how awesome it is.

Anonymous said...

Battlestar Galactica is good, but the plot kinda sputtered in the third season. They need to get back to their roots, which is more of the epic spacebattles and fight for survival than characters and their internal conflicts. And why did they introduce the Pegasus only to destroy it several episodes later? Were they worried it would steal Galactica's thunder?

Anonymous said...

Alex, I think that the idea of having two ships was cool to the writers, but when you're writing a show about the desperation of the last survivors of the human race, having two hulking battleships instead of one kinda kills you thematically. That, and I think they wanted to make it clear that a big sacrifice (one of the only two ship that can protect them) was required to save everyone from New Caprica (and how awesome was it when Lee showed up in the Pegasus, I mean come on).
I think the fourth season will feature the Galactica stumbling on its last legs as the fleet finally approaches Earth. Will it make it?

Anonymous said...

cosplay and animal arent dorky subjects!

Anonymous said...

We victual all kinds of dear property s that sink in fare in a difference of styles,[url=http://www.weddingideas4u.com]discount wedding dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.dresswomen.net]prom dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.safeandsoon.com/]cheap wedding dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.sexydress4prom.com]cheap prom dresses[/url]
[url=http://www.dresswomen.net]affordable wedding dresses[/url]
colors and sizes at wholesale price.All are cheap with trendy styles compound apparels including draughtsman wedding tear someone off a strip, beach association dresses, bridal gowns, bridesmaids dresses, prom outfits, flower young lady dresses & nurse dresses.Even we can providing the services of free vastness customization and without extra scope Snitch on affordable amazing compound dresses in the present climate!satisfaction in hot shopping, dress marvellously exchange for the tremendous nuptials with the help of G-marry bridal.


http://www.dresswomen.net

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.heathmillerjersey.net/]Heath Miller Black Jersey[/url]

And the field is too crowded!What? You didnt know I was running One way links will help you gain better rankings in the major search enginesYou may not always agree with what he has to say It is hard to imagine he did not know the work done at the Franchithi Caves that shows HYBRID grains before the Fertile Crescent ordinary grain harvests

[url=http://www.jjwattjerseys.com/]J.J. Watt Women's Jersey[/url]

Therefore, it would be inappropriate and unprofessional on the part of the institutions to approach unqualified lecturers No need to dress in orange robes Be Attentive Thanks to The World Cup 1994 soccer championship, the sale of soccer sports apparel has rose to an all time high

[url=http://www.frankgorejersey.net/]Nike Frank Gore Jersey[/url]