Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Supremes

The Texas Supreme Court heard two oral arguments here at the BLS today, and if you did not attend, you really missed out. If nothing else, it's great to have a face to put with the names we keep reading over and over again. But the cases were interesting and it was a real treat to see lawyers actually arguing before the court in the very same room Prof. Contracts told me exactly how dumb I was.

My favorite question involved one of the justices creating a hypo related to the movie Risky Business (for real). And then this gem of a quote from one of the advocates:

"I agree the facts are undisputed. I do not agree with the petitioner's recitation of them."

I love lawyers.

6 comments:

Jon Swanburg said...

I'm guessing you tried to fight the Supremes as well?

Anonymous said...

that's my justice, doing me proud.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about everyone else, but I have money on the respondent/plaintiff (insured) winning in the insurance case. [/sarcasm]

Anonymous said...

this Court siding with the insurance company? Never...

Poseur said...

I hate insurance companies as a general rule, and even I found myself completely agreeing with their argument. Which is probably a bad sign.

I even nodded along as Hecht asked a question, which is not something I anticipated doing. Which is how we avoided fisticuffs.

Anonymous said...

I am upset that you even attempted to avoid fisticuffs. That goes against everything I believe in.

For Shame.

Shamey Shamey Shame.