Monday, October 23, 2006

Happy Birthday, iPod! And Bro! And Hungary!

All hail the iPod!

Pretty much everyone knows of my deep love of my iPod, which I affectionately refer to as “the greatest gift I have ever, or would ever, receive.” Much like the Red Rider BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thingee which tells time.

The iPod turned five years old today. I do think it has changed the way we listen to music, as it pretty much encourages my extraordinary ADHD tendencies. Like I’ll hear “The Man Who Sold the World” by Nirvana, which will send me back to the original Bowie, which will then remind me Bowie produced Iggy Pop’s first album which will then send me to Wayne Kramer, Iggy’s guitarist, who released some albums on Epitaph after getting out of jail, and doesn’t Bad Religion own Epitaph? Five hours later, I’m somehow listening to every Elliot Smith song ever recorded.

I can spend hours digging through those 60 gigs of musical goodness.




Also, turning much more than five today is the official brother of Poseur.  Birthdays all around!  Bring me cake!  While we're at it, here's some other birthdays today:

Adlai Stevenson
Gummo Marx
Chi Chi Rodriguez
Johnny Carson
Dwight Yoakam
Pele
Sam Raimi
"Weird" Al Yankovic
Doug Flutie
Keith Van Horn
The country of Hungary

Cake for everybody!


10 comments:

Mark Osler said...

Wayne Kramer was the guitarist for the MC5 (with Fred "Sonic" Smith). That's why he is famous.

Kick out the jams!

Poseur said...

Dammit. You're right. The Acheton brothers were the backing band for Iggy and the Stooges. I'm getting my heroin addicts confused.

You're pretty face is going to hell...

But Wayne Kramer did put out a solo album on Epitaph, so I got that right.

James Close said...

mmm, delicious cake...

Anonymous said...

Yankovic put out his first new album in while. How do I know this, you ask. The Waco radio station played his single "Canadian idiot" while I was driving back from Austin. It was amazingly (not) clever. I believe he will remain a cultural oddity that will allow SOME people to score A point on me while playing trivial pursuit 20th anniversary edition. I was hoping that he would refrain from gracing us with his presence until AFTER the 25th anniversary edition came out. So much for hoping.

To not be disingenuous, I like ONE of his original songs. It's all about Santa going postal, and it's quite funny.

Love,
Matt

Poseur said...

I own the Weird Al box set. So I've got no room to talk. And I think you're referring to "Christamas At Ground Zero" about a nuclear holocaust during that holiday season. Because that is comedy gold.

Al also has his first top ten record in his career. So happy birthday to the nation's most famous accordian player.

In more disturbing news, the first item on my brother's Amazon wishlist is a "concert ukulele". I'm pretty ticked I don't have the $130 to buy it for him. Becuase what other way to show how much you love your brother than to buy him a ukulele?

Thomas said...

your blog is totally the best

Anonymous said...

I believe the song I WAS referring to was called "The Night Santa Went Crazy." And NOOOO, I didn't have to look that up. I remembered it all by myself. As for trivial pursuit:
Matt - 1
Steve - 0

Love,
Matt

P.S. On a more personal note: WHERE THE HELL IS SHOSH! I haven't had my irate-wordy-contrary-grad-student fix this week. Me liking this new forum for POSEUR hangs in the balance.

Poseur said...

She posted in the comments in the 1985 World Series post. I wouldn't let you down. I am surprised she hasn't made a snarky comment about my brother and the ukulele. Seeing as she is one of the few readers of this blog who has ever met my brother.

It's the commenters that makes this, in Thomas' estimation, totally the best blog.

Anonymous said...

You'll shoot your eye out.

Anonymous said...

Snoooooooot, snot, snot, snot.

Snoooooooot, snot, snot, snot.