Sunday, October 29, 2006

Baylor football virgin

Went to my first Baylor game yesterday. Some random observations:

- The inflatable mascot is creepy.* He walks around like Frankenstein, but his big smiling head just bops up and down with the breeze. It's like being trapped in an absurdist zombie movie.

- There were a lot of Aggie fans. I mean, a lot. And they are all bizarrely cultish. Though, I have to admit, their band is pretty cool.

- I was told afterwards I should have gone to the George's tent. Is that like the regular George's in that it is bar in which I can't purchase liquor and it closes freakishy early?

- Baylor has a pretty good passing offense. The coach was obsessed with establishing the run, even in the fourth quarter when it was apparent to everyone that Baylor isn't exactly a power run team. Because, apparently, it's still 1965.

- Floyd Casey is not built to hold 50,000 fans. I think I accidentally killed someone in the melee at the half in my quest to get a Chick-Fil-A sandwich.

- I am the proud owner of a Growl Towel. I have no idea what to do with it. I am open to suggestions.

- Baylor fans are pretty quiet. Even during a really close game. Get loud, people. It's a football game.

All in all, a good time. I'll probably go back. But I'm not going with an Aggie fan.

*Ed. Note -- Actually, I think all mascots are creepy. There is a horror movie waiting to happen here, with these silent, smiling, fuzzy creatures going on a mad killing spree. It keeps me up night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, what you saw was a high passing game, for us. We have been an all-run all the time team until about this season, although as you saw, that hasn't really worked for us. Apparently our footballs have divining rods in them that draws them to wherever the highest concentration of the defensive line is, and tells them, "Go through there!"

We're trying to get into a passing game more, but as you probably saw, our QB is very conservative and doesn't like to throw the ball unless he's given no other option. Apparently he thinks hopping backwards until he's sacked is a better idea.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Re. the towel: you growl with it, obvoiusly. Duh.

Hey man, I never actually watched American football, I was just in the band.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman? They have murderous clone teddy bears at one point. I agree--it can be very frightening.