Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hip Hop Punks

Emily brought me along to see Nas and Talib Kwali on Tuesday. Now, I'm not a big fan of hip hop, not because I think it stinks, but because it simply doesn't speak to me. Hey, I'm not the audience for Yo Gabba Gabba either, but I'm not really the guy to cast value judgments over its quality.

Now, the show had everything you could want, even ending in a fight that only failed to be a knife fight because the guy dropped his knife.

Though it wasn't my scene, I had a great time, got into the show, and a thought occurred to me as the night rolled along: this show was more punk rock than most punk shows I've been to. While punk has become more and more commercial and punk-by-numbers, it's become infinitely less interesting. It's safe and stale and it's just the same thing over and over again.

And maybe this was the same thing over and over again for hip hop fans. But I doubt it. Not many shows have the live microphone tossed into the crowd so anyone there could rap along. And that's just fun. But it also had a sense of anarchy, of spontaneity, of actually being dangerous... and I find that irresistible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that we saw a cameo by Erykah Badu, too, and watched as Jay Electronica demanded someone give him some weed...allowing him to pick up a live joint that who knows who had thrown on stage.

By the way, there is a Michael Jackson impersonator at House of Blues on Sunday. A homeless man gave me some tickets outside our firm happy hour...Just throwing it out there.
much love,
the neighbor

Poseur said...

Let me also add that either Erikah has the greatest Afro in the history of the world, or the greatest wig. Either way, that thing was amazing.

Jay Electronica's set was unbelievably good.

Unknown said...

Hey, How are going on?

Thank you very much for a nice and cool article of Hip Hop Punks. It is an alternative post by you. That is so cute. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog. The electronic cigarette has been in existence for almost three years and is a clever device aimed at providing smokers with a healthier option. Apparently also useful in helping to reduce and indeed quit smoking altogether. Are looking Best electronic cigarette, V2 cigs coupon & Green smoke coupon?

Thanks for this.

Joy kumar saha SEO expert said...

My, Dear sir

Ok, so this is precisely what I want to do – freelance blogging ''Cigarette ''.It is a great problem sphere of our life.I think that our need should be eradicate from our civilization. I’ve got two steady gigs now, but I’d like to add just a couple more. Your tips were terrific and I’m going to apply them. Thanks for the great post.As ,I want to share How does V2 Cigs compare to other electronic cigarettes? Read the full review and Vapor Judge will grant you a 10% discount on your next V2 cigs coupon order!

Many many congratulation for your Right able Website.