Thursday, May 22, 2008

Used To Could

Our office got new phone systems today. They are the sort of phones that will wake you up and cook you breakfast if you punch in the right code. I mean, they are pretty darn impressive. So they called us into a one hour meeting to explain to us how to use a phone. I think I have the basics down.

In the middle of a meeting explaining to us the wonders of picking up a phone and calling someone, the sales rep used the phrase “Well, you used to could.” She stopped herself, and then proceeded to use the “Used to Could” phrase again. Now, I’m no snob*, but am I wrong for immediately tuning out of the meeting as soon as this phrase was uttered?

ED NOTE – This is blatant lie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ustacould; modal verb

past of ustacan

-Used to indicate a past ability to communicate effectively with others that no longer exists.

antonyms - couldamight, may'avcould

-Used to indicate a possible, though unlikely, future ability to communicate with others.


Love,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Note to all involved in this post - I read this post to my mother as a great example of how lawyers think and communicate with their friends. She thought it was great, but could see how others would fail to see the humor.

Luv,

Leigh

Anonymous said...

Thanks Leigh's Mom!


Love,
Matt

Anonymous said...

You are not wrong. You are awesome.